Sunday, November 27, 2011

X-treme eating experience - Molecular Xiao Long Bao. Wait what?

Sunshine and good food are the perfect match to define a good day. Rachel and I decided to sarge for food in Stanley in this lovely day with incredibly lovely weather. There was a food fair named "The World of Food & Music" in Stanley this weekend, with the booths of - obviously - food and wine and beer. What I was expecting was just having random hot dogs, nachos, and beer. 

Yet, I had a total new eating experience today - Molecular food.

The music performance in "World of Food & Music" in Stanley Plaza



Bo Innovation booth in the food fair in Stanley
There was a booth by Bo Innovation which is a restaurant with X-treme chinese cuisine. How extreme can food be? I will tell you what - it is truely mad and gives a whole new perspective of food. Rachel and I were firstly attracted by the Molecular Xiao Long Bao. What the hell is Molecular Xiao Long Bao anyways? I mean, I tried Molecular cocktail with champagne bubbles but Xiao Long Bao? What?

So, first take a look of the Xiao Long Bao that we, as a Chinese, are so familiar.
Molecular Xiao Long Bao (1 token - $20) 


Ya I know! This is the Molecular Xiao Long Bao!! It doesn't even look like a Xiao Long Bao! Isn't that crazy? I put the whole thing into my mouth. Pop! The juice inside is the taste of the Xiao Long Bao! Yet, it doesn't have any meat (or even solid) under the thin skin. It just tastes like Xiao Long Bao without actually being a Xiao Long Bao!

 In case you don't know, this is how a "real" xiao long bao looks like.


Oyster, Green Onion and Ginger Snow (2 tokens - $40)













The next one I had was my favorite in the booth - Oyster, Green Onion and Ginger Snow. By that, the oyster was a real poached rock oyster. But the green onion was no green onion but green paste; and the ginger was no ginger but some icy white powder. I had hesitation to put it in my mouth but this was too exciting to see how it really tasted like. It tasted EXACTLY like the stir-fried green onion and ginger oyster!!!! This is the maddest food I ever had! The ingredients weren't really there but it tasted exactly the same!! It feels like future food in those sci-fic!

Tom Yum Gong, King Prawn (2 tokens - $40)
Up next, it was the Tom Yum Gong King Prawn. Okay the prawn was prawn that was seared. But the Tom Yum Gong was like a cocktail that I saw the chef mixing with Grey Goose and something else (secret recipeee) to make the dry ice smoking effect. It was also a nice dish (yummy fresh and spicy prawn) but relatively less shocking than its other dishes.

Foie Gras Lettuce Wrap (3 tokens - $60)
We also tried the Foie Gras Lettuce Wrap with Sauternes Miso
This one was the realest food they had there. It was a real Foie Gras (aka goose liver). Wait, I think it was real. I had no idea, though, on the sauce. It's a little bit sweet, a little bit sour and a little bit fruity. The match with Foi Gras was nice, smooth and rich.


Nasi Lemak ice cream (1 token - $20)


The last one goes to Nasi Lemak Ice Cream. Nasi Lemak is a common dish you can find in Singapore and Malaysia which is rice mixed with coconut milk. The Nasi Lemak of Bo Innovation, however, was not exactly rice and not exactly ice cream. In the first bite while you were expecting something sweet and chewy, it was spicy, salty and bubbly. The nuts on top were salty, the red sauce was spicy while the white "ice cream" was bubbly with a little bit of sweetness. It was a new interruption of Nasi Lemak. 

The whole experience was mad, mad and mad. It feels like a baby having its first time tasting new food. Like OMG, this is orange! This is cabbage! This is beef! This is lamb! After eating for over twenty years, I felt like a baby again today, anticipating all the new food that I never had before.

Isn't that just mad?

The tasting menu in Bo Innovation. $860 per person. wow.
Quoted from the founder (also chef), Alvin Leung, of Bo Innovation, "I like to challenge people's expectations, to surprise and excite them. My aim is to have people say, 'That was the best meal I've ever had.' and I just work backwards from that." 
You may miss the chance of having the dishes above in Stanley as the food fair only lasted til today. But you can visit Bo Innovation in Wan Chai (Shop 13, 2/F, J Residence, 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong) for this extreme experience. Well, it will also be an expensive experience as the meal will cost  $860 per person up to $1680 per person + 10% service charge there. What can I say? We are talking about an extreme experience. Oh, and I only spent $180 for it today. Ha, this made my day.

1/ Where: Stanley Plaza

2/ Where: Bo Innovation
Address: Shop 13, 2/F, J Residence, 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong)
Opening Hour: Mon - Sat, 12nn - 2pm, 7pm - 12 midnight
Tel: 2850 8371
Website: http://www.boinnovation.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment