Saturday, November 26, 2011

I obviously don't have an Egyptian stomach

I am open minded in food; I believe if a person is open minded in food, he/she would be probably more open minded in other things else. Yesterday, I felt like eating something different, well exotic. So, Steven and I went to Habibi Cafe for Egyptian food. If you feel exotic, I will recommend you to go to Habibi (1/F, Grand Progress Building, 15-16 LKF, Central) instead of Habibi Cafe (112-114 Wellington Street, Central) as the dishes in Habibi are far more decent. 

We ordered Spinach Pie, Lamb Pie, Kofta Al Gabal (which is minced lamb sausages, braised in tomato sauce) and Mashwiaat (which is mixed grilled of chicken, lamb and beef kebab) . 

I will conclude like this: Although my head is open-minded to any kind of food, my stomach says the opposite. And I feel reluctant to write about it. Therefore, instead of writing in details, a picture is worth a thousand words - and on top of these thousand words, I could write captions.

Spinach Pie ($40) that is way too heavy and oily for me. After having two pieces, I felt reluctant to eat more.


Kofta Al Gabal which is minced lamb sausages, braised in tomato sauce. ($30) It sounds terrible but I must confess I think it looks like dogshit covered in tomato sauce.
Lamb Pie ($40). Similar to the Spinach Pie, it is heavy. Although it doesn't have cheese as in the Spinach Pie, the minced lamb was salty and strong-flavored to make you feel very heavy. I could only handle one piece.
Mashwiaat which is mixed grilled of chicken, lamb and beef kebab with cous cous that my friend, Eric hated most ($150). It was okay. The kebab was satisfactory but not exactly OMG-impressive. And the spice is too strong for me, leading to stomachache at midnight.
I've never been to Egypt. I never dated an Egyptian guy. I had Egyptian food.  Okay, there's actually no correlation here. But I don't think I can handle the second given I cannot handle the food.

Well, like many other things, it's an experience.

Where: Habibi Cafe
Address: 112-114 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Opening hour: Mon - Sun 11am - 11pm
Tel: 2544 3886





No comments:

Post a Comment