Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Crazy thing about food, tapas and churros

Wed night was not a typical good night. You all know why - it's the middle of the week, stuck in the middle. I am not good at sarging boys but I am good at sarging food. Instead of heading home to watch Jamie Oliver on my cozy couch, I headed out with my foxy friend, Sylvia to Central for tapas. 

Randomly searching food in openrice, I finally ended up in Tapeo, a place in the busy and loud end of Hollywood Road, near LKF. Tapeo was a small restaurant with an open kitchen and a bar table surrounding it. It's not a fine restaurant that you could sit comfortably to eat. Instead, it's a very lively place with diverse customers talking, standing, sitting, eating and drinking. On Wednesday night, the place was surprisingly crowded and thank God we got two seats at the end of the bar table. With the skyhigh heels of my friend, I seriously did not want her to walk around to hunt for food. 

We ordered two tapas and a dessert. They were marvelous. I am not overstating here but they really were. I love it love it and love it. 

I chose the Crab Tortilla and Sylvia chose the Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with Mojo Verde. And of course we shared.

The stuffed Piquillo Peppers with Mjo Verde that drives me crazy ($78)

The first dish comes the stuffed peppers with veal, pork and almond. It was so good. The flavor was so layered and matched with each other in such a delicious way. Tomato, beef, pork, pepper, pesto, and with some almond. Ohhhhh and Mmmmm I felt so blessed eating this.

The warm and nice Crab Tortilla ($72)
The Crab Tortilla was Mmmmmm too. It may not be as delicate as the stuffed peppers but it was nice to have some starchy food for dinner for me. The potatoes, eggs, leek, and crab were soft and warm. I don't know why - whenever the food is starchy, soft and warm, it makes me feel so homey. And homey food is my favorite.

Churros & Chocolate ($52)




A nice dinner should end with something sweet. I have a thing in churros. Without checking other desserts in the menu, I ordered the Churros & Chocolate straight ahead. The churros were freshly fried but it wasn't like the churros I had before. And trust me, churros and chocolate are not a good couple, they can't even be friends.  If you order this, I will suggest you not to dip the chocolate. Instead, ask for more sugar. 

The first time I had Churros was in San Diego, California. Freshly made churros, sprinkled with sugar. I was having a very date with a very guy in Sea World and we were eating churros before getting in the ride that made us completely soaked. That was my thing with churros - it was something sweet to eat in a California-sunny-young day. It was not a dessert with chocolate dip or even placed on a plate. The memories are in pieces. But I remember the Churros, the Amtrek train and the Geisha tattoo. 

Remember the first time you ate something and how it lingered with your memory? It always stays there and that's the crazy thing about food and how it connects to your heart.
The wall illustrating different parts of a pig in Tapeo

Where: Tapeo: Bar de Tapas Y Vino
Address: 19 Hollywood Raod, Central, Hong Kong
Opening hour: Mon - Sun 12nn - 2pm, 5pm - 10pm
Tel: 3171 1989 (No reservation after 730pm. By the way, they have the special price of $150 for 2 tapas and wine before 7pm)


No comments:

Post a Comment