Sunday, November 13, 2011

Spoil me on the November Saturday

Earlier this week, I planned to go to Vero to find the best chocolate cake in town. The devastating news was that Vero is under construction til late December (I couldn't help grumbling "oh noooooo" immediately on phone when I called to make a reservation and learnt the news).  Therefore, utilizing the social network resources, I posted a question in my facebook status on Friday, "Looking for advice: Where can I find the best apple pie/ chocolate cake in town?". Well, responses mentioned about Awfully Chocolate, Lucullus and even McCafe (what?) etc and etc. Not very satisfying. So, I openriced and finally decided to try the cafe named "Spoil" at Sun Street, Wan Chai.

Honestly, I went there because of the cafe name, Spoil. Oh ya, I want to be spoiled.

The cafe was actually very easy to find. Just get out from the Admiralty exit F at Star Street. Sun Street is next to Star Street. The cafe is at the corner of Sun Street. 

Spoil is a small and cozy cafe. The menu did not exactly include a wide range of dishes but pasta and cakes. But I think it's fair enough for a small cafe like this. It will be so much nicer if they have outdoor tables which they don't. My friend Fili and I went there at 3pm, so they had the tea set for cake + drink with the price of $60 while the signature crunch cake and chocolate cake will require additional $10. The crunch cake looked soooo big in the glassed refrigerator and we were like "Will this be too huge for one?" Anyways, we finally ordered the crunch cake and chocolate cake.

The crunch cake was smaller than we thought. But it sure was big enough for one. In general, the crunch cake was like a regular sponge cake with cream if the crunch pieces did not go with it. It wasn't exactly a crunch cake that you would kill for. (and ya, I travelled an hour for this.) It was good enough to make a good mood but not a killer-good mood.

And for the chocolate cake, it was actually nicer than I thought. It was very rich and smooth. Sometimes, for rich chocolate cake, it will be too heavy and hard. But this chocolate cake was at the right point of smoothness and chocolate flavor and texture. Not exactly as divine as the one in Sift. But you will be pleased by it. I personally think if it can come with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or whipping cream, it will be nicer and more complete.

As a small cafe with around 16 seats, Spoil only had one staff serving but the place was completely full with young people chilling on Saturday afternoon. If you are looking for a place to stay long for a coffee and reading, I won't recommend that for you. It's more like a cafe that you pop in for a quick cake.

What surprises me is its neighbor store Kapok which sells home products, funky products, deco, accessories and notebooks. There was also an area selling coffee and my favorite CUPCAKES. With a food baby belly after the crunch cake and chocolate cake, I didn't try any in Kapok today. With basically no one in the store, Kapok was quiet and perfect for some quality reading time with coffee and CUPCAKES. Hmmm, now I know where I will head for next weekend. Anyone interested?

Where: Spoil Cafe
Shop A, G/F, Shun Ho Building, 1 Sun Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
What: Crunch cake and chocolate cake
Tel: 3589 5678
Opening hour: Mon - Sat 12nn - 1030pm


1 comment: