Saturday, November 19, 2011

Can you gimme a better brunch/ breakfast?

Last time attempting to go the Brunch Club that more than few friends recommended, we didn't make it at last as there were way too people and waiting in line for brunch doesn't make any sense. Today, Mira and I tried our luck to go there at one. Though it was still very crowded, we squeezed in and had our table.

Not sure if it was lucky or unlucky that we made it as I was utterly disappointed.

Start off, no one really seemed to care to serve us that I needed to walk to the waitress to ask for a menu. I ordered the Parma Ham Egg Benedict and Mira ordered the Waffles with honey and butter. Well, honestly, I am not sure if it's just me. Even it's a brunch/ breakfast, I want something big and full and nice. The most important thing is caring every bit of details.

So, this is the egg benedict from the infamous Brunch Club. Look at the hash brown. When you order an egg benedict, it is not just the benedict you're ordering. You're ordering the whole package - the hash brown, the green salad, even the salt and pepper and ketchup. Details are important when you pay nearly $100 for egg benedict. To be fair, the egg benedict was okay. But the hash brown is like the exact same that I could buy from the frozen section in Parknshop. I was expecting a bit more than that.

Parma ham egg benedict
And then this is the waffles with honey and butter that Mira ordered. I tried a piece. Ummm, it was okay. It was not even close to good and far far away from great. Good waffles should be a little bit crispy outside and soooo soft inside with strong taste of egg. And the most important part : freshly made waffles should have the best smell that can attract the whole restaurant's attention as if the waffles came alive and said "SMELL AT ME AND LOOK HOW GOOD I WILL TASTE!". That was just average.

Waffles with honey and butter
The brunch today made me miss the 24-hour breakfast in downtown LA. The Original Pantry Cafe. The 24-7 diner was soooooo nice with very warm and lively atmosphere and long history in town. It was opened since 1924 and the owner proudly claimed "Never Close. Never Without A Customer". It is a place you can get the biggggg nice american breakfast with eggs, pancakes, toasts, bacons, sausages, french toasts, potatoes, cheese omelette and all that. This is the kind of breakfast I would enjoy - You go with a morning hunger and you leave with a giant food baby.

The Original Pantry Cafe in downtown Los Angeles
Very old american style

Taste is just very personal, especially for your first bite in the morning. If anything, I think breakfast is the best meal among all. Brunch Club is not my ideal breakfast/brunch/whatsoever, maybe it's yours I don't know. There sure is a reason why many people return, but it just happens I am not one of them. 

P.S. I was so moody after the brunch and needed to cheer myself up by buying a donut from Marks and Spencers. The donut was actually goood. Haha.

Finished my last bite of egg benedict and goodbye

1/ Where: Brunch Club
Address: G/F,70 Peel Street, Central, Hong Kong
Opening hour: Mon - Sun 8am - 10pm
Tel: 2526 8861

2/ Where: The Original Pantry Cafe
Address: 877 South Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90017, USA
Opening hour: 24-7 (YES!)
Tel: 213 972 9279




No comments:

Post a Comment