Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sucking popsicle, Stealing wine glasses, and eating risotto

Friday night is usually the best, even with a dreadful weather like tonight (My feet were a complete mess. My black heels were soaked and the best is the black went off from the leather straight ahead to my toes. Thanks for the rain.) Kevin and I hit the Blindspot Gallery at Soho afterwork for the opening of the exhibit "Fragments of My Imagination" by Chila Kumari Burman. The first impression of the pieces is their bright color and clustered elements of beads and stickers and everything. But then when you spend more time to observe one by one, you will find a lot of interesting elements behind those colors.

Shivjee Loves Snocreme

Perfect Fit




















For example, in Perfect Fit, if you just pass by without paying much attention, it's nothing but a beautiful snapshot of flowers. But definitely you would see more, there were bras hidden. Chila, the British Indian artist - who is also a lovely and passionate (and drunk) lady - demonstrated, "You see it is named 'Perfect Fit' as it is so hard to find a perfect fit bra!" ("He wouldn't know that." I pointed to Kevin. "Ya, he won't!" Chila replied, rolling her eyes playfully.)

Why are there so many popsicles? "Cuz my dad sold ice cream!", she explained.

Colour Ice Cream
Sure that's more than that. Trimmed with those girly beads and gems, the pieces showed the issue of sexuality, races and feminism from the point of view of the British Indian female artist. I actually didn't notice details in Colour Ice Cream until I got back home and revisited the website. Hey, in that, she was sucking the popiscle and touching herself. Oh boy.

With a hyper mood influenced by the wine ("Three glasses?" "No it was my four.") and the lovely artist ("Don't email me. You must text me."), Kevin was so high to leave with the wine glasses. "Hey! You can't leave with the wineglass with you!"I said. Anyways, with one hand holding umbrella, we were holding a wine glass by another hand like a series Friday alcoholic strolling in Soho.

The dinner was in Sole Mio Ristorante Italiano at 47 Elgin Street. It was my second time visiting this place which is cozy/ kind of crowded (you name it). The waitress was nice and friendly. Kevin ordered the spaghetti with squid ink, tomato sauce and seafood; I ordered the mushroom risotto with creamy sauce
mushroom risotto with creamy sauce
spaghetti with squid ink, tomato sauce and seafood

Both were lovely. The risotto was creamy and rich while the squid spaghetti was surprisingly "perfect fit" with the tomato and chilli. The portion was perfect too- not too small and not too big, just right. I love food that would actually make you feel good and FEEL FULL. Sure they can satisfy both. Mmmmmm. If I got a bigger stomach, I would have got myself a dessert too.

Although my feet were like hobbit's now, it was worth it. Well, when rain comes, dance in it. 

1/ Where: Blindspot Gallery
Address: 24-26A Aberdeen Street, Soho, Central, Hong Kong
What: Fragments of My Imagination by Chila Kumari Burman
Opening hour: Tue - Sat 11am - 7pm
More about the artist: http://www.chila-kumari-burman.co.uk/index.htm
More about the gallery: http://www.blindspotgallery.com/


2/ Where: Sole Mio Ristorante Italiano
Address: 47A Elgin Street, Soho, Central, Hong Kong
Opening hour: Mon - Sun 11am - 3pm, 6pm - 11pm

No comments:

Post a Comment