Saturday, December 3, 2011

You are what you eat. And it can save your soul.

My happy Saturday Breakfast
It sounds maniac but I have been planning and thinking about every Saturday breakfast throughout the whole week. Saturday breakfast is sure my favorite entry nearly all time. I was already excited on Thursday night to think about what to buy and the order to cook first and then so to make everything warm and nice when served. I mean, it's the first Winter Saturday breakfast that it's so cold out of bed and warm from the omelette. What could be better to have a nice warm cheese omelette and soft pancake (and watching home movie) on a cozy sofa on a lazy Saturday? If we are talking about pursuing happiness of life, this is my happiness of life. 

Close-up
Naturally waking up at 830am, I woke up with a great mood and perfect sunshine. Scrambling the eggs, cutting the tomato, pan frying the pancakes! It sounds like a good start of the day. Turning on the DVD player, playing the second half of You've Got Mail. Greg Kinnear says in the movie, "You are what you read. And it can save your soul." Well, I am reading "Country Driving: A Chinese Road Trip" by Peter Hessler. I don't how it saves my soul reading a chinese factory manufacturing the brassiere wires. My twist on that line could be "You are what you eat. And it can save your soul." That's my own point of view. If the hustling life is sucking your soul, you need to get yourself a nice breakfast. That's the best way to save your soul back. By the beauty of food.

Sometimes, what you need is not a big thing. Not a great success or a big applause. You just need a nice breath of fresh air, an impressive line in movie, an inspiring chapter in book, or simply a nice boiled egg in the morning. No noise from vacuum, no hustle from traffic, and no one to bother you. Just you and your day to do your own things. Or I should say. Just me and my day to do my own things.  

Whenever I feel like my soul is dying, I look for sunshine, I watch my favorite movie, I read a great chapter of book that I bookmarked. And I make myself a nice omelette.

Meg Ryan from You've Got Mail (1998) - "What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you. "




No comments:

Post a Comment