Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Buying a snowman fantasy

I haven't seen any snow before, in person (not movie). I am not saying frost, ice, dew or whatsoever. I mean, snow. Floating snow flake or heavy thick snow layers on the doorway. I haven't seen any form of snow before. I know it sounds crazy for some of you (particularly you Europeans) but I grew up in a warm place in Hong Kong and travelled to either hot or warm places (Sunburning Phuket, Sunny California, New Zealand in January, Sweating NYC in May, Europe in June, Korea in July etc) The closest thing I get is the frost on the rock starting to melt in the Great Canyon. Or the fake snowflakes that are made of bubbly soap which makes your hair completely messed up in Disneyland.

I have a fantasy in snow. "You're that kind of romantic person who will feel touched by seeing a snowflake outside the cafe." That's what my best friend, Rachel, told me more than five years ago. That's my fantasy in snow. I have been warned by many friends, "You will be so disappointed when you see the dirty grey snow in the city." Still, fantasy is a fantasy and I think everyone should have at least a little faith in their fantasy. Therefore I still look forward to my first moment of snow.

Snowman cupcake in Starbucks ($24) and the snowman cupcake portrait by me on the coffee cup

Without any snow (again) this Christmas, I bought myself sugar snowman instead. They are basically everywhere. No matter how much I know that's just another marketing product of Christmas and it will 99% likely taste like shit , I can't resist buying one. The other day, I was meeting my gradschool friend, Grace, for a coffee chat in Starbucks in Festival Walk. I can't help buying the snowman cupcakeWith $24, I am buying a fantasy. Isn't that great? $24 a fantasy for sale! And the truth is it actually tasted not bad.

When I am writing this entry, I had another sugar snowman that I got at the bakery in Wellcome supermarket from the grocery shopping with my mum today afternoon. See? Christmas is all round! And the christmas spirit simply fits into Hong Kong so well, in such a commercial way. (If you think the Christmas in the States is commercial, you should come to Hong Kong for our specialized commercial-ness.)  This time, the snowman stuffing (sort of dried fruit) was horrible. Still, I am buying a fantasy! $13.5 a fantasy for sale! This is good enough.

Sugar Snowman bread from Breadtalk in Wellcome Supermarket ($13.5)


Speaking of fantasy, watching movies is another form of fantasy, isn't it? It's like fulfilling your inner wants of ideal scenario (aka Hollywood cliche of true love or superhero). I am a huge movie fan who practically watches at least two movies (repeated or new ones) a week. Indulging in the movie fantasy is like an escape from real life. Call me a dreamer. I am. Below are some of the bits and pieces of my favorite scenes. What are yours?

Mark Darcy in Bridget Jones's Diary is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. He is quite surreal. A top human right lawyer falling in love with clumsy Bridget Jones, just as she is. " I like you very much, just as you are." This is the scene that Mark shows up in Bridget 's apartment and helps out in the kitchen for her Christmas dinner with her friends. He is the sweetest character ever.
Celine and Jesse train encounter in Before Sunrise is a fantasy I experienced before. What I like best, instead, is how they meet after losing contact in nine years in Before Sunset. They become more mature about life but still have the romantic fantasy in their heart. "I guess when you're young, you just believe there'll be many people with whom you'll connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens few times."
In Love Actually, Mark (Andrew Lincoln) makes a silent confession with cardboards to his best friend's newly married wife, Juliet (Keira Knightley) at Christmas. "But for now, let me say - Without hope or agenda - Just because it's Christmas - And at Christmas you tell the truth - To me, you are perfect - And my wasted heart will love you - Until you look like this. [picture of a mummy] " video below



This is the scene that the charming Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem, sexy man)  comes over to Vicky (Rebecca Hall) and Cristina (Scarlett Johansson)'s table and invites them to join him to go to Oviedo for the weekend. I love this movie on its adventurous love and the dark humor of Woody Allen on finding self but it turns out everything remains the same after all the adventure. "Why not? Life is short, life is dull, life is full of pain, and this is a chance for something special." video below

It sounds cheesy but I love the night-out scene in Sex and the City. Four modern women who enjoy their  life in NYC, four old friends who stay together for a decade, drinking cocktail. "And there, in the same city where they met as girls, four New York women entered the next phase of their lives dressed head to toe in love. And that's the one label that never goes out of style."
This is the scene in He's Just Not That Into You where Neil (Ben Affleck) and Beth (Jennifer Aniston) break up as Neil doesn't want to get married. Meanwhile, Beth's father has a heart attack and she needs to take care of everything at home while no one, including her sister's newly married husband, gives any help. Neil shows up without notice and helps out cleaning the wishes in the kitchen. "Our life together is what I want. Your love is what I want. Did you see those guys my sisters are married to? You are a better husband to me - without being married - than any of those real husbands will ever be. And that's enough for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment